TeleFinder/User is the application that connects your Macintosh to a TeleFinder bulletin board system (BBS). TeleFinder/User requires a color capable Macintosh, and Apple's System 7.0 or higher. Through your TeleFinder/User-BBS interface, you'll find business services, customer support, as well as "friendly chat." A BBS can also serve as a conference forum, provide electronic mail service, and store files to be transferred. The individual or company operating the BBS (the sysop) determines which services to offer its callers. The Sysop also decides whether the BBS will be open to public use, or kept for private use.
TeleFinder provides an easy to use interface to work with files, mail and messages by simply clicking and dragging icons. With System 7.5, TeleFinder uses your Finder desktop to provide "drag-and-drop" file transfers. With earlier system software TeleFinder will emulate the Finder desktop to provide the drag-and-drop capability. TeleFinder also includes a text editor, address book, and a mail outbox for automating the pickup and delivery of mail.
The following sections describe the software installation and various features of the program.
- Installation and Setup - Get up and running as quickly as possible.
- Changing your Password - Change your BBS logon password.
- Session Time - Display useful information about your connection to the BBS.
- Disconnecting from the BBS - How to logoff when you are done using the BBS.
- Other Conenction Methods How to use settings for these other connection methods.
Email and Topics
- Using Email - How to communicate and send files to other users of the BBS and the Internet.
- Using Message Topics How to view and participate in online discussions.
File Transfer and Information
- File Transfer - TeleFinder supports a variety of file transfer protocols, recovery of broken transfers and drag and drop batch transfer.
- Using the File Basket - Keep track of files that you might want to download later.
- Using File Information - Get detailed information about specific files.
- Using BBS Find File - Search selected parts of the BBS for files.
- Using "By Thumbnail" View - Browse files with textual descriptions and preview pictures.
- Using Multi-User Chat - Chat with other users in chat rooms.
- List of Users On-line - A listing of the currently connected users.
- Chatting with the Sysop - Private chat with the BBS operator.
- Chat User Profiles - Control how messages appear in any of the Chat windows.
- Chat Scripting - Use AppelScript to Create "Chat Bots.'
Personal Web Sites
- Web Space The "Web Space" folder is where you can publish HTML pages.
- Using the Pub Folder - Setup a user profile and mail forwarding.
- Scripting - Use AppleScript to customize TeleFinder/User.
- Viewing Graphics - View graphics while online or offline.
- Folder Access Privileges - How access privileges affect your capabilities online.
- Preferences - Configure application preferences.
- Text Editing and Printing - Create, print, and edit documents using styled text.